We are planning to publish a wonderful and unique technical book on "A to Z on Bauxite, Hydrate, Alumina, Alumina Chemicals and Aluminium" covering various technical aspects with emphasis on process, design, engineering, project management, commissioning, process control and successful operation including trouble-shooting of metallurgical and non-metallurgical (Specialty grades) Alumina Plants including byproducts, chemicals and glimpse of major critical issues of aluminium smelters as well. We have already structured a table of content with variety of technical inputs for inclusion in the book. Previously, we had a plan to publish this book by early this year but could not be done due to many major changes in the content of the book on request of our friends and well wishers. Now, our team members are planning to publish this book at the earliest latest by the mid of 2016.
The proposed new book will be unique with regard to following key features:
- Technical data, information & detailed calculations useful for process design engineers,
- Detailed specifications of basic input materials,
- Treatise for process control, process development & product development,
- Production, consumption and forecast data for products across the globe for taking strategic decisions,
- Method to optimize techno-economically viable plant with provision for expansion,
- Basic parameters for selection of suitable project site for new plant,
- List of required statutory clearances for setting up new Alumina plant,
- Specifications of different grades of bauxite, hydrate, calcined alumina & chemicals,
- Applications and production process routes for standard and specialty grades of bauxite, hydrate, calcined alumina and value added chemicals,
- Methodology to develop PFD, P&ID, general layout of plant & shop layout / equipment arrangement drawings of units,
- Clear understanding about minimum feasible capacity for Alumina refinery,
- Working out volume of work / bill of materials / Material take-off for civil, structural, electrical, co-generation and instrumentation and control units for new Alumina project,
- Methodology for estimation of capital cost, production cost, IRR and pay back period,
- Arriving at consumption factors for all input materials,
- Procedure for working out requirements of fresh water, cooling water, steam and other utilities,
- Sizing calculations for tailor made process equipment and facilities,
- Systematic approach for sizing of pipelines and valves,
- Techniques for selection of critical equipment & appropriate material of construction,
- Finalization of process technology based on characterization of bauxite,
- Basic inputs and methodology for developing Basic engineering documents,
- Methodology with sample drawings, data sheets and documents to be developed during Detailed engineering for execution,
- Reference guide for Entrepreneurs and strategic planners of respective fields particularly with regard to specific capital investment, profitability and other related aspects,
- Planning & scheduling for execution of new Alumina plant,
- Detailed systematic planning for successful commissioning,
- Wide coverage on safety, occupational health and environmental protection,
- Technical input data for research and development and
- Many more topics of interest which have not been published in any document so far.
This book will be the outcome of life time experience of a group of professionals located in different parts of the globe who have designed, executed, commissioned and successfully operated many such Alumina plants in the World.
We are thankful to all individuals and organizations who helped us directly or indirectly in making this book with rich data, information and calculations. We would also like to put on record our sincere thanks to those individuals who approached us for early publication of this unique technical book. All friends of bauxite-alumina-aluminium fraternity will appreciate the wide coverage of technical information with addition of many topics / contents compared to earlier envisaged. Editing of technical information and calculations are in advance stage and concerted efforts are being made by our team members to expedite the finalization of manuscript with utmost accuracy.
As such all out efforts will be made to cover all technical issues, however if you wish to include detailed coverage on any topic, please let us know by writing your opinion under comment column which will be passed on to the editorial board for inclusion in appropriate place in the proposed book.
We will welcome your comments, remarks and suggestions, if any.